Friday, January 30, 2009

PHOTO SHOOT: Bo Zhang





I MEAN BUSINESS!
Hahaha that's what I call this look. I look like a sassy accountant. Bo thinks it looks like an H & M add... I have been looking to working with Bo for a super long time. I saw his work on on the wonderful makeup artist, Warren's Model Mayhem page, and instantly fell in love with his work! So different and edgy (kinda like me. :). His just moved back from the UK, and you can see it in his work, it's fresh. Well, that being said, I begged him to shoot me, and thankfully he agreed. Initially we had planned to use Warren again, but he has started a job at a salon where he works 6 days a week. :( But some how Bo found Chontae. (I don't know, maybe she fell from heaven?!?) She was an absolute pleasure to work with. Native DC'er we hit it off from the start! And she even doubled as a stylist- helping pin dresses etc, and tripled as a photographer's assistant holding the fan on me (those pictures later). That being said, I've got to work with her again.
This shoot was the most fun! First off it was three blocks away, awesome. And it was a studio apartment studio, meaning it had HEAT. That's the first shoot I've done with actual heat, not a portable heater. I.e. we were all comfortable, didn't have to wear coats, I wasn't shaking between shots or turning purple. So that was nice. What else was nice was Bo bringing breakfast. How awesome is that?! He brought donuts, bagels, juices, it was soo nice! He also played techno music... what more could you ask for?
The first look was more natural makeup, in a gown, with more emphasis on hair movement, (fan blowing in my hair). We didn't spend too much time on this look. The second set was outside. Yes, I said outside, in 20 degree weather. But Bo is a gangster. I was in this super thin leopard print gown, so Bo shot in a tee shirt (just to be fair)! That's gangster. Chontae and I took the opportunity outside to take a cigarette break, smoking between snaps of the camera. I'm really excited about these shots. Bo is a master at shots on location. Really, master. And I was doing fun stuff in a dirty alley with snow on the ground. :) You'll see.
The third shot was the above pictures. When I first knew we were going to work together, we had to do something edgy, so I put together the 'suit' above. I was hoping Bo would like it, and he said he loved it! This was a fun set because I could really move around. And earlier I had dragged this huge mirror so I could see myself as we shot (which is always helpful, for both parties) so I think we got some strong shots. Bo's funny, he seemed almost surprised and my ability to maneuver in such high heels. Little does he know I wear heels everyday. :) I really admired how, while we were shooting, he periodically referenced pictures he had, just to keep ideas and concepts in mind. I think that's a great idea as a photographer. Especially if you're trying something new, or have a specific idea in mind.
Well, all in all, super fun shoot with great people. I hope we can do it again! You can read Bo's side of the shoot on his blog here. And stay posted for pics of the other two looks. :)

No comments: