Monday, March 2, 2009

1st Trip To New York EVER (Recap)

Me in front of Betsey Johnson's plaque in the fashion district.

The view from my $69 a night hotel room
Me and one of my BF's from high school, and our opinion of Rudy's Bar
RECAP OF NY TRIP:

1. Knish

2. Best cheap hotel room in New York- $69 at The Americana Inn

3. ICP's Exhibits throughout the year. Right now it's Edward Steichen: In High Fashion

4. Dave's Tavern, Near Port Authority

5. Katz, Lower East Side

In my earlier post, hopefully you got a sense of my excitement for my first trip to NYC. Finally made it up there. Got there Saturday at noon and for a quick 24 hour trip. Though, in the short time I was there, I saw quite a bit. But I do have to describe NY with a four letter word. COLD. Really fucking cold. So that definetly hindered my experience, we all know I'm a warm weather girl. But that aside, NY has a vibe that is incomparable!
The first thing on the agenda was seeing Times Square. Obviously. While I was in the area, I had to stop in at the IPC. They are having a show on, of all things, fashion photography with one of my favs, Stieglitz. Their gift shop is a MUST SEE. Reminded me why I spend 5 years studying such a beautiful art; because when it's good, it's soooo good..... From there, I was on a mission. An eating mission. I've always been infatuated with street food in NY, so I had to hit up as many as possible. I had a knish, some of those tasty sweet almonds, peperoni pizza (Vegetarian Relapse #1) and a Gyro ( 3rd and final Vegetarian Relapse,). Obviously I fell off the wagon. :) Saturday night stopped in at an Athony Bourdain certified Keens (Episode 'Disappearing Manhattan' which I have to say, did influenced this quick trip up there). Though walking into a place like this on a Saturday night w/o a reservation is a joke, I realize, so ate in the bar. I don't know I'd really recommend it. $25 steak sandwich and fries (Vegetarian Relapse #2). I'm sorry, but if you're a steak house that's been open over 100 years, you should be able to make a freaking decent steak sandwich. They didn't. So next it was to one of my one of BF's from high schoo's placel who lives in Hell's Kitchen. Beautiful apartment on the 36 floor!! Then there began the dive bar crawl. Should have just stopped at the first one. The rest aren't worth repeating (ie. the shithole Rudy's- pictured above) We ducked into my favorite dive bar of the night (out of about 5) on a whim, Dave's Tavern. Chill, peanuts on the ground, not crowded, $5 drinks. Nough said. I've gotta go back. Then it was down to SOHO for the other thing in NY I heart, Katz Deli. $15 for a corned beef sandwich, but you can bet your ass I would, and will, pay it again. Great place that, to me, was perfect representation of NY. Full of colorful, and eclectic people. And the slice of brownie cheesecake I had. To die for. Can't say enough about this place! Should have gone home after that though. Ended up checking out a few more bars around the corner from Katz, but again, aren't worth mentioning. It was Lameville. Yuppytown. Not my scene. So we headed back, and caught the death cab home. I was really hoping to catch the Cash Cab from the tv show, but didn't. He's lucky I was fearing for my life, or I would have been barfing from car sickness all over the back of his car. These cab drivers are no joke. Fortunately that night I sleep really well, so got to see the Fashion District, Bryant Park, Parsons, and my hero Betsey's plaque (above) before we had to head back home. Grabbed a Gyro for the ride and caught the bus to DC right there next to Madison Square Garden. :) 4 hours later I was home. Short but sweet.
All in all I would definitely live there, I don't think it would be hard to adjust. Plus everything is at your fingertips in Manhattan. Fresh flowers, deli's filled with the most beautiful food, news stands, everything was so easy. I really can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

RCVW - Global said...

glad you enjoyed Ny!!!