Friday, April 3, 2009

PHOTO SHOOT RECAP: Kendal Carr

Best photo shoot I've ever done in a cardboard box....

Bet you don't hear that every day. But that is just the tip of the creativity iceberg also known as Kendal Carr (amazing world wide uber published photographer). I was fortunate enough to get to shoot with him prior to this shoot on a baby doll look. It was actually cast by make up artist Michael Reyes, but Kendal and I clicked, and have been meaning to shoot ever since. Yesterday we made it happen.

This photo shoot was a poster child for group effort. Adding their creative input was my darling make up artist Chontae, and Kendal's very talented friend and photographer, Charles. Lucky for me, I was surrounded by people who are great at what they do, and have a great eye, it shouldn't be a surprise at how unique this shoot was. The first look was in a hand made dress I made, outside in front of a truck full of garbage... Classy, just like me. Kendal was kind enough to haul his huge lights and laptop out behind the studio so we could shoot on location (Note: Kendal is the only photographer I have worked with who shoots a couple shots, then has his camera synched to his laptop so he can see how the shots look. Is it the secret to his success...?) Meanwhile it was freezing in my strapless knee length dress, nothing new there though but this time I was contorted into in a cardboard box half my size, lips all bejeweled, dripping down my neck, while holding an umbrella and wearing a lamp shade. Yes, this is the shit I live for.

The second look was black and white. Kendal's black and white's are so rich and filled with amazing mood, I had to have him shoot me in B & W. I brought a shirt I had made with KATELIN across the front :) and paired it with some ripped up jeans. Chontae gave me a dark eye and I messed up my hair. Once the look was set, Kendal chose to shoot it in the make up room. The make up Chontae had been working with was organically spread across the table, and those amazing vanity lights were the background. That mixed with Kendal's own top secret lighting techniques...... wow. These are going to be just as ridiculously fresh as the first look!

side note:My goal is to give photographers the widest variety of poses, and expressions I can. Leaving them to decide the look they want to portray. My theory is I'm just going to keep moving suddenly until the photographer sees a pose they are really inspired by, then I will hold it, and they can get the angle, setting, etc. how really want. I am there to be the physical manifestation of their creative concept.

Though the day was wearing, we squeezed one last look in with a zebra print dress I made. This was a really fun shoot, not only because I got to shoot with Kendal, but I made the clothes for every look! :) For the final look I crawled up into a cut out in the wall. I didn't see these ones, but there's no doubt they will be hot, plus, it will be a surprise for all of us! :) Stay posted, you know you want to see them!

No comments: