Friday, March 20, 2009

Model Open Calls In NYC Recap

So after filming America's Got Talent, I stayed another full day (Wednesday) to go to open calls and to drop off portfolio pics. It was an interesting day, so I thought I would share my escapades...

10am Request Model Management- They were my favorite agency of the day. Great vibe, edgy models, small boutique agency. Unfortunately, they were not interested, nor did they say why, so I'll be back.

11am New York Model Management- I absolutely love the look of this agency, they are so edgy and fresh. Unfortunately, they are very strict about height, and I wasn't even let in to see the casting director to show my portfolio. But they did give me a list of commercial modeling agencies that I will definitely look into.

11:30 VNY- Nice women, looked at my portfolio, loved my tattoos, but said they unfortunately don't sign models under 5'8.

12:30 Ugly Ny- This was my top pick, mainly because they sign tattooed models. But when I went in they were moving. The guys were super friendly, but they are currently under construction. They are going to be moving, changing the name, and revamping the agency. I will definitely stay in touch with them!

3pm Wilhelmina Room full of gorgeous girls. At the front desk, they had us fill out a stats sheet, and collected our books. About 10 minutes later the casting director came out and said, 'we are not currently interested in anyone, thank you.' I'm wondering if they even looked at our books, or if they just check our stats sheets.... whatever

3:20 Ford The lobby was packed! Maybe 50-60+ dime pieces. I mean these girls were the real deal, 5'8 pin thin, skinny jeans, tanks hair pulled back. They knew what they were doing. This was, in my opinion, the best run open call. The casting director meet with everyone one by one and personally looked at your book, and asked a few questions. The most personal attention I got all day. When it was my turn, she look one look at me (in my 4inch heels) and said 5'6? :) The smart ass I am said, 'Wow, must not be your first day' that and a few other comments I had her in stitches. But she also said 5'8, sorry.

3:55 Major Model Management The biggest D Bag agency of the day. Honestly, soo rude. They had us line up in groups of about 10 and one by one walk around a room of agents sitting at a table. It was bad enough we didn't get to show our portfolios, but while we were walking these dick bags were either chit chatting amongst themselves, yawning, texting, pretty much anything but looking up at us. This is the first agency I am going to tell to blow me when I'm on top.

4:20 FFT Talent Agency The last stop of the day, I was completely exhausted, but it was right next to Major, so I said, fuck it, why not. When I went in, the question was asked by the front desk girl to the agent, "Should I?" I held my breath, he took a hard look at me, "Yeah, look at her book" :) She liked my portfolio, but said it was too high fashion, they do more commercial work. ahhaha what a joke. I am too short for high fashion, but to high fashion for commercial. But she did said if I can get a few commercial shots, they might be interested in signing me, so we'll see.

Such a long day. And those were just the agencies that were having open calls. I also dropped off some of my pictures at Image Management, IMG, and Elite. 11 agencies in all. 'So you wanna be on top.' :) Yes Tyra, I do.

1 comment:

RCVW - Global said...

wow.....A LOT of running around and it was a pleasure to read your experiences with each agency. keep grinding & stay motivated... +1 on your cheer squad.